If you have children or love oats in your meals, then you might be concerned about recent news reports that revealed high levels of glyphosate in breakfast cereals across multiple brands. Glyphosate is an herbicide that is used by farmers nationwide; Roundup is a common brand name. While glyphosate is concluded to be non-carcinogenic to humans, reportedly, higher-than-acceptable levels of this chemical are found in kids’ breakfast cereals. Some reasons for this contamination may include:
- Crop Spray: Both corn and soybean crops are sprayed every year with glyphosate. Since these crops have been genetically modified to resist glyphosate, higher concentrations of the herbicide are used.
- Spray Runoff: Sometimes crop spray can run off into other crops. For example, a change in wind patterns can result in non-resistant crops being exposed to glyphosate.
What Foods Could Have High Levels of Glyphosate?
Unfortunately, foods testing for higher-than-acceptable levels of herbicide is not uncommon. While there is not an accepted level of safe glyphosate exposure, there are some brands that have a history of containing higher-than-normal parts of the pesticide. These include:
- Cereals: Cereal products have been the most exposed to glyphosate. In general, look to see if your cereal is oat-based. If it is, you might want to research the brand and product to make sure the glyphosate levels are acceptable.
- Oatmeal: Of all foods, oatmeal is the most susceptible to high levels of glyphosate. If you regularly consume oat-based products and are concerned about exposure to herbicides, then you should look up the brand to see if it is safe.
- Crackers: Corn is sprayed with glyphosate and cornmeal is a major ingredient of many brands of crackers.
- Ice Cream: Well-known brands of ice cream have been recalled due to high levels of glyphosate. Reports of these levels of glyphosate began surfacing in 2017.
You need an experienced and reliable attorney who can mitigate your risk and help you plan a strategy. At Arata, Swingle, Van Egmond & Goodwin, we have been helping people with product liability claims for years. Contact us online or call (209) 522-2211 to schedule a free consultation.