Being charged with driving under the influence – or DUI – can be scary. A DUI charge has a lasting effect on your professional and personal life, and carries with it a social stigma. However, not all DUI charges are valid.
Law enforcement officials can make mistakes and may conduct their investigations inappropriately. They may have also made an error in initially pulling someone over.
When you’ve been charged with a DUI, it is important to hire an attorney who is experienced in defending such cases. Here at Arata, Swingle, Van Egmond & Goodwin, we evaluate your situation based on its specific facts and determine what your best DUI defense is.
Some DUI Defenses
While this list is non-exhaustive, there are ways to defend against a DUI charge and possible conviction. These include:
- Being pulled over without the officer having reasonable cause to do so;
- Having an inappropriate investigation conducted;
- Not having sufficient control of the vehicle, meaning that you were not the one driving or controlling the vehicle while intoxicated;
- Being impaired for a reason other than consuming alcohol, such as a medical issue;
- Not having consumed an alcoholic beverage but testing positive for alcohol due to chewing gum, using mouthwash, or somehow regurgitating alcohol that you consumed earlier in the day but that is no longer affecting you
While the above list does not encompass every single defense you may have against a DUI charge, they are some examples of who we might start when evaluating your case.
For example, you probably were charged with a DUI after being pulled over by a police officer. A DUI defense attorney must look at this initial stop carefully. The most important question is whether the stop was lawful. If it was not lawful, then your charge may be challenged and potentially thrown out.
Hire an Experienced DUI Defense Attorney
Our attorneys at Arata, Swingle, Van Egmond & Goodwin are experienced in handling DUI cases. We have a successful track record of defending against DUI charges that were falsely brought against a driver. We will evaluate every aspect of your case from the initial stop, to anything that was done after, in order to poke holes in the government’s case against you and show that the situation was not handled properly.
We understand the stigma of a DUI conviction, and we will do everything possible to assist our clients. To arrange an initial no-obligation consultation, we welcome your call to our office at 209-522-2211.