Can I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Workplace Accident?

Can I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Workplace Accident?

Posted By: Arata Swingle Van Egmond & Goodwin on May 21, 2018
Call us with questions about compensation for work injuries.

Workplace accidents may cause serious injuries that leave you or a loved one unable to return to work. An accident in the workplace can also rob you of a loved one. In both scenarios, you may be able to recover workers’ compensation benefits, which help pay for lost income, medical costs or funeral expenses. You can only file a lawsuit against your employer after a workplace accident in very specific scenarios. One such scenario where you may recover compensation after a workplace accident is if a third-party caused your injury.

Third parties are individuals or entities who are not your employer. For instance, the manufacturer of construction equipment could be a third party. Contractors working for separate companies could also fall into this category. Other motorists could be third parties, which means you may be able to file a lawsuit if you are injured in a work-related car accident.

Third-party lawsuits also have advantages over workers’ compensation benefits. Unlike workers’ comp, you can recover pain and suffering damages from a settlement or verdict that results from a third-party lawsuit. For this reason, compensation from a third-party lawsuit can far exceed what you can recover under workers’ compensation by itself. This is a major advantage if you or a loved one suffered a serious injury, such as a brain or spinal cord injury. Workers’ comp benefits alone will likely not cover all of the expenses associated with severe injuries.

Injured at Work? Contact Our Modesto Work Accident Attorneys for a Consultation

Were you or a loved one harmed during a workplace accident? The Modesto work accident attorneys at Arata, Swingle, Van Egmond & Goodwin can help you determine whether it would be possible to file a lawsuit against a third party. Our law firm offers free consultations that can help explain whether this option is available for your situation. To schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys, call (209) 522-2211 or use our online case review form.